Call for Applications (Environment)
PhD Scholarship in
Formal Modelling and Analysis of Ecosystems
UNU-IIST, Macau SAR China
Scholarship Code: PHD-ENV-1
The United Nations University - International Institute for Software Technology (UNU-IIST), located in Macau, is accepting applications for one scholarship as PhD candidate to be involved in a high-profile portfolio of projects in the area of Formal Modelling and Analysis of Ecosystems within a collaboration between UNU-IIST and the University of Pisa, Italy.
The PhD candidate will be directly involved in the development and implementation of methodologies and tools for the testing and comparison of different policies for environmental and health management, such as policies for control or eradication of diseases and disease vectors, translocation of living organisms from one area to another, rescue and recovery of endangered species. The underlying research work for the development of such methodologies will include the definition, and/or extension of formal specification languages for systems biology and, more specifically, for ecosystems, their use in the modelling, simulation and analysis of population dynamics, and their implementation in tools for simulation and analysis to be applied to real problems in the areas of population/disease control and reintroduction biology.
Candidates for the position should have
- a Master degree in Computer Science, ICT or Bioinformatics, or in a similar discipline;
- background and experience in probabilistic and stochastic modelling and experience in development and use of tools for the modelling, simulation and analysis of biological and/or ecological systems;
- strong programming ability;
- good English writing ability;
- ability to work both independently and in a team.
Background in statistics, biology and natural sciences, familiarity with formal methods, and experience in using model-checking tools and in developing tools for 2D and/or 3D visualisation are advantages.
Study and Scholarship Conditions
The PhD candidate will be enrolled in the double degree PhD programme in ICT for Sustainable Development of the United Nations
University and the University of Pisa, will work under the direction and supervision of Dr. Antonio Cerone, UNU-IIST Research Fellow, and will be also co-supervised by one of the leading members of the Research Group on Modelling, Simulation and Verification of Biological Systems at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Pisa. The duration of the study and the scholarship is 42 months, of which at least 6 months will be spent in Pisa. Starting date is 3 September 2012.
Monthly stipend will be USD 1,000 during the stay in Macau and USD 1,500 during the stay in Pisa. Health insurance is provided free of charge. During the stay in Macau accommodation (except utility costs) is also provided free of charge.
Upon successful completion of the graduation requirements the PhD candidate will be awarded a PhD in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and will receive two distinct PhD diplomas from the United Nations University and
from the University of Pisa.
Admission Requirements and Application
- Applicants must have been awarded or should plan to be awarded the required Master degree no later than 31 July 2012.
- Applications should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Details about the application procedure and the admission requirements are in the PhD General Call for Applications available at:
- The Scholarship Code (PHD-ENV-1) should be indicated in the PhD Application Form.
Closing date for application is 31 May 2012.