Call for Applications (Health)
Two PhD Scholarships in
Software Engineering in Healthcare
UNU-IIST, Macau SAR China
Scholarship Code: PHD-SEHC-1
The United Nations University - International Institute for Software Technology (UNU-IIST), located in Macau, is accepting applications for two scholarships as PhD candidates to carry out research in the area of Software Engineering and Technology in the Domain of Healthcare.
The PhD candidates will study and research in the emerging area of application of theories, techniques and tools of software modeling, design, analysis and verification to high-confidence Healthcare systems. The overall aim is to improve patient safety, the quality, efficiency, and accessibility of healthcare. Topics for PhD thesis include, but are not restricted to
- Model-based design of Secure and Interoperable Electronic Health Record Systems;
- Foundations of modeling, simulation and verification of Collaborative Workflows;
- Model-based development and verification of Medical Cyber-Physical Systems (Medical CPS);
- Application of software engineering modeling techniques and tools to definition, analysis and evaluation of healthcare policies and clinical guidelines.
Candidates for the position should have
- a Master degree in computer science, software engineering, health informatics, or information and communication technology, or in a similar discipline;
- solid background and skills in software modeling, and techniques and tools for software validation and verification,
- strong programming ability;
- background and experience in data mining, ontology modeling and reasoning, and machine learning techniques;
- good English writing ability;
- ability to work both independently and in a team.
Knowledge and previous experience in healthcare are advantages.
Study and Scholarship Conditions
The PhD candidate will be enrolled in the double degree PhD programme in ICT for Sustainable Development of the United Nations University and the University of Pisa, and will work under the direction and supervision of Dr. Zhiming Liu, Senior Research Fellow of UNU-IIST Research Fellow, and a professor at the University of Pisa. The successful candidates will enjoy working within the energetic and dynamic group led by Zhiming Liu (http://rcos.iist.unu.edu) and its international collaboration network. The duration of the study and the scholarship is 42 months, of which at least 6 months will be spent in Pisa. Starting date is 3 September 2012.
Monthly stipend will be USD 1,000 during the stay in Macau and USD 1,500 during the stay in Pisa. Health insurance is provided free of charge. During the stay in Macau accommodation (except utility costs) is also provided free of charge.
Upon successful completion of the graduation requirements the PhD candidate will be awarded a PhD in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and will receive two distinct PhD diplomas from the United Nations University and from the University of Pisa.
Application and the Admission Requirements
Applicants must have been awarded or should plan to be awarded the required Master degree no later than 31 July 2012.
- Applications should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Details about the application procedure and the admission requirements are in the PhD General Call for Applications available at:
- The Scholarship Code (PPHD-SEHC-1) should be indicated in the PhD Application Form.
Closing date for application is 31 May 2012.