Applications and Admissions
English Language Proficiency
- IELTS with minimum score 6.5
- TOEFL (internet-based) with minimum score of 80
An official test score is valid for only 2 years.
- Faculty (Professional Staff) at UNU-IIST
- Faculty at University of Pisa (Computer Science Department)
- PhD courses held and planned at University of Pisa in 2012
- The courses of the previous years at University of Pisa
- the requisite six course credits have been passed;
- positive responses have been received from two international referees of the thesis;
- the thesis has been presented in front of an internal committee of the PhD programme;
- the thesis has been defended in front of an external committee of the University of Pisa (for the University of Pisa degree);
- the UNU Academic Committee has made a positive recommendation for graduation upon review of the student’s documents (for the United Nations University degree).
- Tuition fee: USD 35,000 for the entire programme
- Registration fee: USD 800 per semester
- Travel to summer schools and conferences: USD 6,000 (estimated)
- Visas, permits, etc: USD 1,000 (estimated)
Estimated living and travel costs
- Monthly cost in Macau: USD 1,200
- Monthly cost in Pisa: USD 1,500
- Roundtrip Travel Macau-Pisa: USD 1,800
Note that for outstanding applicants subsidized lodging in UNU-IIST housing may be provided.
General Enquiries: PhDemail@example.com
Q: The applications require a copy of valid passport. Unfortunately I do not have a passport at the moment yet as I am in the middle of application I expect to receive it in weeks. Could I apply for the PhD programme without the copy of passport now?
A: Yes. You may apply without the passport for now and then send the information later.
Q: I am from mainland China. Could I send a copy of "Permit for travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macau" instead of a copy of passport?
A: A copy of the permit would be fine.
Q: My former university indicates the English medium of instruction directly on the transcript. Do I still need to ask the university to provide another certificate?
A: It is fine if the university indicates the English medium of instruction directly on the transcript. Please include a note to this effect in your application. In this case, you need not to provide score from IELTS or TOEFL tests.
Q: I come from a strong social science background with both master and bachelor degrees. My research interest is in the area of development. Am I eligible for the PhD programme in ICT for Sustainable Development? Is a computer science background a must?
A: This PhD programme involves postgraduate level coursework and research in ICT. So it is necessary to have a strong technical background in this area.
A: Applicants must have a master degree.
A: You need only provide the contact information for the recommendation letters. UNU-IIST will contact your references directly.
A: It is best to send you application by email with scanned copies of documents (by the deadline) and then follow up with the original copies by mail. We can screen your application based on the scanned copies of the documents you submit. Since we cannot make a final official offer till we receive the official hard copies, it is best that you follow with those soon so that if a positive decision is made, we can move quickly with the formal offer.
A: You need only submit one of the two test scores.
A: The costs are listed for those who are self paying or who are applying with externally funded scholarships. The listed UNU-IIST scholarships cover all costs.